Workspace Workflow

I wanted to ask if there were any recommended/typical workflows for managing workspaces in a project. Also is there any way to switch between workspaces in the IDE?

I was just thinking I could have a Cheats.sk or various smaller workspaces that are specific to testing certain game features.

Yes, the current single workspace.sk is limited.

We have plans for a much richer mechanism for multiple workspaces with the upcoming new IDE

Until then there are a couple of neat mechanisms that you can use to probably get what you want.

Get some text editor that can have multiple text windows and give it :sk: superpowers - http://skookumscript.com/docs/v3.0/ide/command-line/#script-superpowers

Once you have the associations and hot keys set up, any window in that text editor can be a new workspace file. I recommend that you save the different files with a .sk extension.

Visual Studio instructions are there or you can use whatever text editor you like. I use Notepad++ witch is quite good and free. For syntax highlighting, you can specify JavaScript and it works fairly well. We should probably make a SkookumScript language file for it.

It is pretty cool.

Not quite as powerful though you can also have code in .sk files and you can drag and drop it into the SkookumIDE (old WinAPI UI version) and it will run all the code. This can be used as a crude toolbar.

Search through all skookum scripts for any text related

This is exciting!

I also use Notepad++. Are you just adding new Macro commands in the shortcut mapper? I haven’t ever modified this aspect of Notepad++ before.

Yes, exactly.

In Notepad++, you just select “Run”->“Run…”, then enter the command and then save with a key shortcut. Then just cancel the “Run” dialog.

Here are some Notepad++ commands that I have:

• Skookum Browse/Run SkookumIDE.exe $(FULL_CURRENT_PATH)
  • Skookum Class SkookumIDE.exe $(CURRENT_DIRECTORY)
  • Skookum IDE Run SkookumIDE.exe -xi $(CURRENT_WORD)

Here they are once stored in \Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Notepad++\shortcuts.xml

<Command name="Skookum Browse/Run" Ctrl="no" Alt="yes" Shift="yes" Key="83">D:\Agog\Projects\SkookumScript\SkookumIDE.exe $(FULL_CURRENT_PATH)</Command>
<Command name="Skookum Class" Ctrl="yes" Alt="no" Shift="yes" Key="67">D:\Agog\Projects\SkookumScript\SkookumIDE.exe $(CURRENT_DIRECTORY)</Command>
<Command name="Skookum IDE Run" Ctrl="no" Alt="no" Shift="yes" Key="115">D:\Agog\Projects\SkookumScript\SkookumIDE.exe -xi $(CURRENT_WORD)</Command>

Just change the paths.

There are more examples of commands in the link from the earlier post using Visual Studio.

Here are the other environment variables you can use - http://docs.notepad-plus-plus.org/index.php/External_Programs

Let us know how it goes.

Sweet, got Notepad++ going without any issue. This really opens up some possibilities. Thanks for the examples!