UMG Examples?

Hi, Guys,

I was going through some of UMG documentations and I thought, it is one of the area that UE4 is not very polished. You do your layout work in UMG editor, and hook all callback events in BP. And I immediately thought that SK can really shine here.
There are quite a few SK examples for AIs, but unfortunately, there aren’t much examples for UI.

I just searched UMG topic and it came up with a couple of posts but nothing useful. I thought it would be nice if we have some more comprehensive UI examples and I believe it can be one of the very effective selling point of SK.

As you guys already know, UI is one of the most time consuming tasks because it often requires changes and fine-tuning would require many iterations. No programmers really enjoy working with UI but I think SK will really shine because the changes are immediate and programming UI can be actually fun. ^^

I guess there are a couple of things we can show SK for UMG.

1. Manipulating Static UMG: UI are designed with UMG layout tools and SK can manipulate them such as doing some animation and handling UI callback events and etc. This would be the normal usecase and again, we can show that SK can replace BP.

2. Creating Dynamic UMG: SK will create, adjust layout, destroy UMG objects dynamically. Some UI are dynamic in nature and it would be perfect example that SK can handle it well.

What do you guys think?

Cheers!

It is a great idea.

The staff at Epic have also said that more SkookumScript UI and UE4 editor suppot would be appreciated.

Did you see this example UMG post by @error454?

Examples and tutorials have been a gap that needs filling with SkookumScript since we have been focusing on features mostly with integration to UE4 including the editor and BPs and the SkookumIDE.

Until we get the opportunity, if you have anything that you can add to the community for UMG we would greatly appreciate any examples, ideas and requests.

We would also be happy to add in any new routines that you create in the Engine overlay or a new UMG overlay. So far we’ve mostly been using the :ue4: reflected methods exactly as they are written though often by combining a few routines and making a more :sk: interface things can be made much more useful and powerful.