Roadmap update?

I’m in a similar boat as @chrisk414. I’ve got a project I want to start but I’m a bit nervous about :sk: at the moment :frowning:

I love :sk: but given how things have been recently I’m thinking of looking at Unreal.js (tbh, I NEVER thought I’d say anything like that lol. I would REALLY rather use :sk:)

Stuff is cooking… :man_cook:

We appreciate your interest and understand your concern.

More soon.

Cannot wait to hear what that is :+1:

Hmmm, look what I found: https://www.reddit.com/r/unrealengine/comments/aezhdv/it_seems_people_at_epic_are_considering_adding/

i was just about to post that! lol

I REALLY hope it’s :sk:, the more i look at unreal.js the more I remember why I don’t like js in general.

Go ahead and reply, I just did. Make it sound like we need Skookumscript without saying it outright. Here is what I said…

We need a language that is fast at runtime and fast to iterate with. To meet these requirements, we need a repl, a ref counting gc, a language that compiles super fast, and sadly, static typing (type inference preferred). It should have a simple syntax and simple semantics.

One more thing, why don’t we get a discord room going. or gitter, or anything with some real time chat?

That’s a great idea. +1 for an official :sk: discord!

I’m having trouble finding your comment in that reddit thread. It is ‘early’ here and I’m just going through my first coffee so it’s probably just me.

Started a new thread here: Epic Having Internal Discussions About IL Between C++ And Blueprints

You can mention SkookumScript by name if you like. People will know what you are talking about.

So, we all knew you are taking to Epic to make SK as a first class citizen. Is there anything you can share?

Reading Tim’s post, I have a feeling that Tim already made his mind up and just wants to see what user has to say additionally.

I’m guessing here that if Epic is choosing Skookum for that (gameplay scripting), the Skookum devs + Epic devs may be making an adapted version of Skookum. Some changes that make the transition of python, lua, java etc users to Skookum easier. And they may even call it something that make people relate it to Unreal at a glance. USkookum? Hehehe. Just kidding.
Hope they keep it simple and so cool as the skookum syntax and features. I’ve scripted in python, javascript, actionscript, angelscript (these last ones look a lot like javascript) but skookum is still my favorite. Less typed etc. Reading the thread on reddit, looks like Lua is also appealing to them.
Skookum devs, what are you allowed to tell us? :slight_smile:

I hope the only adaptations are improvements to the language, I do not want it to become more like those languages. Skookum has some of the best features of an oop/imperative language that you could have while making a few trade offs where performance is concerned. I have programmed in a multitude of languages from all paradigms; logical, symbolic, functional, imperative, oop, and fexpr based. Skookum is one of my favorite if not my favorite language to program in due to its performance, fast iteration, and cohesive, simple, logical syntax. Skookum does require a slight paradigm shift for game developers to use it, but it is no where near as difficult as learning a functional or logic based programming language.

Basically, what I want is… keep the syntax and semantics, improve UE interop, and enhance the language in evolutionary steps.