Epic Having Internal Discussions About IL Between C++ And Blueprints

Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/unrealengine/comments/aezhdv/it_seems_people_at_epic_are_considering_adding/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/1083633686355038209

Could these conversations be with the Agog Labs? In any case, all Skookumites should respond to that tweet informing epic that we want Skookum!

Roadmap update?

I sure hope so! I lurv me some :sk:.

It is something I have been waiting on for quite a while now. Travis and I developed a lot of neat tutorials in preparation for this, we will have to update them to whatever Skookum changes are made when this happens. We are super excited, cmon Epic make Skookum official!

Hey guys, quite a few of you posted about SkookumScript, I just wanted to say thanks! I am excited (maybe too excited) to be a part of this, even if it is a small part.

SkookumScript is the obvious choice for Epic Games. Agog Labs treaded a fine line, amalgamating features from the past and present, while trying to maintain performance in their take of what programming should be like. I have developed a few languages myself, I can say that the Skookum team has done an excellent job of balancing the feature set of the language. Language development is quite a bit like game development, one has to decide on which features to add and which features to drop in order to make the “gameplay” feel just right. Everything is an object, remote debugging, coroutines, etc, have all been done before but Agog Labs has done a nice job of making these features feel cohesive instead of feeling like disjointed, abrasive addendum’s that were bolted onto the language due to language envy. If Skookum succeeds at becoming a mainstream language, the goto language for Unreal, we might finally see the ideas that existed in Smalltalk and Lisp ages ago become mainstream features. For me, SkookumScript is exciting in more ways than game development, it could introduce whole new generations to the past, which is and always was the future! I am sure that it has been a rough road for Agog Labs, holding a candle to the past, convincing Epic of the merits of the Skookum approach, etc. However, I feel like the light at the end of the tunnel has appeared, that Epic will choose SkookumScript. Let us hope that Epic will make the right choice.

Enough ranting, good job Skookum Team!