Docs for 3rd party plugins

Is there a place in the documentation that covers how to make skookum work with third party plugins?

Not yet.

The best that I could find are the following forum posts:

And there might be some additional useful info here:

I suppose that does not mean 3rd party ones?

They should work the same way - perhaps with longer path names.

SkookumScript is a third party plugin itself.

Alright.

I have not used Skookum with a 3rd party plugin yet… time to compile from source :disappointed_relieved:.

Ok, I just got around to attempting to compile a 3rd party plugin, PaperZD, with the unreal engine… I was unsuccessful. Instead of continuing to try the painful process of compiling from source, I decided to try the alternative described below in the quote:

Am I reading this correctly? Do I not need to compile from source if I just alter the SkookumScript.ini on a per project basis?

The reason I am asking is because I tried to do just that, it does not seem to work. The file itself seems to only exist in <PROJECT LOCATION>\Intermediate\Config\CoalescedSourceConfigs.
Is this the correct location?

Thanks for clarifying guys!

The way I’ve always done this is to create a SkookumScript.ini in my Project\Config folder. This goes along side the Default*.ini files.

Just peeking at one of my projects named TestProject that contains a plugin MyPlugin, the contents of the file are:

[CommonSettings]
;=== Game modules ===
; First one in the list of game modules is the SkookumScript-enabled module
+ScriptSupportedModules=TestProject
+ScriptSupportedModules=MyPlugin
+SkipClasses=GameState+GameStateBase+Info

And to clarify, the name to put in the config file for the module is the module name defined in the .uplugin file, e.g. for MyPlugin.uplugin

"Modules" :
	[
		{
			"Name" : "MyPlugin",
			"Type" : "Runtime"
		}
	]

Thanks for the instructions, they are great! However, I did as you said to do and I still do not have access to the plugin. At this point, I am just trying to get it to work with Paper2D as a test. I have gotten it to work before by compiling from source with Paper2D, but I have not tried to make it work, until recently, through editing some ini files. Paper2D is easy to get working from a compile, but market place plugins are a little more involved. Any more suggestions?

This looks like a bug in SkookumScriptGenerator to me. I notice that adding Paper2D to the list of modules will generate the following error in VS:
Module 'Paper2D' specified in game project SkookumScript.ini file is not a game module. Currently, only game modules are supported. No bindings will be generated for it.

But looking at Paper2D, it is clearly a runtime module but unlike many plugins I use, it defines multiple modules in its definition:

"Modules" :
	[
		{
			"Name" : "Paper2D",
			"Type" : "Runtime",
			"LoadingPhase" : "PreDefault"
		},
		{
			"Name" : "Paper2DEditor",
			"Type" : "Editor",
			"LoadingPhase" : "Default"
		},
		{
			"Name" : "PaperSpriteSheetImporter",
		},
		{
			"Name" : "PaperTiledImporter",
		},
		{
			"Name" : "SmartSnapping",
			"LoadingPhase" : "PostEngineInit"
		}
	]

@Noolarch Is this a bug? :point_up:

Have you tried placing the Paper2D plugin into the Plugins folder of your game project?

Sorry for the late reply, I have not tried yet. I have been away from my Unreal equipped computer, once I go back to it, I will give it a shot.