Dev Console (Hint: It's amazing)

Wow.

I knew I was making progress very quickly mixing C++ with the odd blueprint and a lot of :sk:. I fell in love with coroutines when I realised I could have my “tick code” in one spot instead of separated and smeared all over a class. Being able to fire events at any code layer and listen to them made short work of many little things I usually find a hassle. :sk: opened up my project so that I can pass the framework off to a designer and have them run with it without me needing to write/compile/test c++ code (I love c++, but sometimes it’s just kinda gnarly to look at and that loop can sometimes take forever before you even get to the testing phase).

After all that, I still found myself stopping PIE sessions to edit defaults so I could wander to some location to test something; just more time lost.

Then I remembered the workbench. I knew it was there. I’d seen it in the literature, the demo, the videos, etc but it was just so far removed from my standard workflow in UE that I hadn’t even thought to use it. Tried it for the first time last night, was able to fully test a subsystem in the project in no time flat. Was adding things, removing things, setting flags, teleporting around, etc. I wanted to make a post last night about how awesome it is to have this kind of tool, which just elevates the already great :sk: even further, but I was dead at my desk and had to get at least some sleep. :smiley:

Anyway, just wanted to thank the guys at Agog again for all their hard work putting :sk: together. Hopefully soon I’ll have something to show off that doesn’t make eyes bleed to look at (unfortunately there’s no _make_my_art that I could find in the :sk: libs).

Almost ready to dive into SK but i have a few questions

We’re dropping everything and we’re working on a _make_my_art coroutine.

I’m thinking of passing in parameters as well?!

enum eArtStyle
{
  placeholder,
  mediocre,
  amazing
};

this is a small thing so I figured I’d just heap the praise on in my old thread.

My level designer wanted a teleporter for the player so he could zip around the level to test different areas without having to drag the spawn points around or unpossessing, dragging, then repossessing the pawn or just running around.

Instead of that, I just made a little blueprint with a text renderer on it (text renderer shows the object’s name) and told him to dump those where ever he wants to go in the level and use player_pawn.actor_location_set( Actor.named("StartTag").actor_location) in the workbench.

He seemed kind of skiddish about it, but then he figured out he could set the location with coordinates etc. Now he’s doing all kinds of weird things while in PIE and I don’t have to do anything! It’s great!

Hooray for Sk enabling my laziness so I can work on other important stuff :smiley: