Basic Tutorial 1: Create a cube Blueprint and rotate it using Skookum

Create a cube Blueprint and rotate it using Skookum

Remember that you can download the tutorial project here. This tutorial uses map Level1.

1. Start a new project that uses Starter Content (I chose First-person template for this one).

2. Navigate to Geometry/Meshes in the Content Browser. Right-click 1M_Cube > Asset Actions > Create Blueprint Using This.

3. Let’s call it BP_Cube.

4. You now have a BP that holds a static mesh of a cube. You may choose to apply a material to the cube so it’s more visible in the stage but that’s completely optional. I usually go with M_ColorGrid_LowSpec. More importantly, make sure to select the StaticMesh component and turn off Enable Gravity under Physics.

5. Save & compile BP_Cube (you’ll notice that the SkookumIDE will also auto-compile). It has just created a BP_Cube class for you on the Skookum side!

6. Navigate (in your Content Browser) to Blueprints and drag ‘n’ drop our cube into the world somewhere. Make sure it’s nice and visible.

7. Save your current level, switch back to the BP_Cube window and hit the :sk: button in the toolbar (Show in SkookumIDE).

8. This will take us to the BP_Cube class in the SkookumIDE Classes widget. Make sure the class is highlighted and click the New Class or Member pane underneath the Members list widget.

9. This is where we can add subclasses, routines / coroutines / constructors / destructors and data members to our highlighted class. Type in ! to create a constructor and hit Enter or press the Add button.

10. Use the New Class or Member pane one more time and type in _rotate which will create a coroutine with that name. This is where we’ll have our code for rotating the cube. (We could have just added the code to the constructor itself but it’s generally a good rule of thumb to keep constructors tidy and brief).

11. Our code to rotate the cube will look like this inside _rotate()

() 
    [
    loop
      [
      !r : RotationAngles!yaw_pitch_roll(100.0 * GameLib.world_delta_seconds 0.0 0.0)

add_actor_world_rotation(r)

_wait //wait until the next frame before executing this loop again
      ]
    ]

12. And now all that remains to be done is calling our coroutine from inside our constructor as so

() 
    [
    branch [_rotate]
    ]

More info on the branch command here.

13. Hit F7 to compile.

14. Run the game and Bob’s your uncle, mate! :slight_smile:

Stay Skookum!

Special thanks to @Gigantoad for suggesting the basic problem and to @error454 for suggesting a solution!

Basic SkookumScript UE4 Plugin Tutorials
How to update references after renaming BP in engine?

Guys,

I followed this tutorial to a tee and it fails to work. I have UE 4.12.5 and installed the latest Sk plugin directly from the marketplace. I created a new 3rd person project. When I perform step 6 SkookumIDE does nothing and does not create a BP_Cube script automatically. Sk IDE says it is connected to runtime. I tried manually creating the BP_Cube Sk script but I am not sure what base class to derive from and all kind of weirdness ensues.

I get the following error dialog when clicking the SK button in UE4. (Step 8)

We’re working on solving the underlying issue.
In the meantime, can you try restarting the editor and the :sk: IDE, then forcing a compile in the IDE (using Ctrl-Alt-F7) and see if you can continue on with the tutorial?

Hi jazzay - thanks for trying SkookumScript! We fixed this issue, and pushed an updated SkookumIDE to GitHub. The fix will also be included in the next Marketplace release. In the meantime, you can safely ignore the message - it is not a critical error.