4.20 -> 4.21 Update

Maybe I’m missing something… But if not: any news on the 4.20 version? Any release estimates?

I just found out Epic broke the custom online subsystem in 4.20 as well. That one’s an easy one line fix in the engine, it’s too bad the script base plugin isn’t as simple :frowning:

Looking forward to updates, I miss :sk:

Hey folks!
Well the good news is that the ScriptPlugin stuff is working again in the master :ue4: branch. We made the decision to jump straight into 4.21 for now as things work there. Support for 4.20 may depend on the specific UHT changes required being backported into the 4.20 branch by Epic.

I would break out the upgrade as follows:
:white_check_mark: UHT
:white_check_mark: IDE
:white_large_square: Runtime
:white_large_square: General bug fixes
:white_large_square: Refresh Demos

The UHT and IDE tasks are mostly syntax/compiler oriented. Since things initially don’t compile, the task here is to replace any deprecated :ue4: types and methods, trying to take note of significant changes in the engine.

Once things compile, we move on to the Runtime task, which is where we are now. This involves finding the internal engine changes that prevent normal operation during runtime. This could be data types that have changed, different execution paths etc. One that was most recently found was a change to UPROPERTY meta-data that affected null and float values.

We are still chipping away :pick:.

That’s awesome. Great to hear!

We made the decision to jump straight into 4.21 for now as things work there

Do you know when Epic is planning to release 4.21? I’m working on 4.20 here and soon, maybe even this month I’ll start scripting, and of course I’d like to use skookum from the beginning.
Ah, by the way. The game I’m making:

www.twitter.com/ataruhugame

Fantastic! Really itching to use :sk: in my new project :smiley:

And thanks for the amazing support especially in this phase where you guys are at a difficult point in the process.

Wow, please post in the Project section and keep us up to date on this! I’ll be interested to see how things progress as you start to roll :sk: into this. I have an ancient project where I was playing with procedural horse animation, the 3D model I was using looks like pixel art compared to these renders :horse:.

Thanks! Great to hear you liked the horses. Do you have a link to the procedural animation tests? You made me curious.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll post it in the Project section as soon as I start scripting something here with skookum.
I hope 4.21 come on time to use it without delay.

Horse Stuff

@error454 Now that 4.21 is out, are there any roadblockers or it’s just a matter of time until the plugin comes out?

Well the good news it that with 4.21 released, the ground won’t be shifting anymore. On the :sk: front, there is still 1 major runtime crash to be tracked down and then hopefully after that it should all be very trivial work.

I was about to write asking about 4.21, as today I saw the news and just installed it. I’m going to start to prototype the demo level for my game today, and was wishing to have Skookum available for this. By the way… I was planning here the way to implement the basic AI for the foes/NPCs, thinking about navmeshes, behavior trees, state machines… and I recalled the Fire Bots demo, that awesome thing of testing commands while the game is running… My questions (I’m going to create a topic for this later, probably):
What do you think about using Skookum or Skookum + behavior trees for this versus using only Behavior trees + Blueprints? Do you think is there any kind of road block or difficulty that would make it more reasonable to not use Skookum for this? Does Skookum interfaces enough with/accesses the systems for AI and navigation? Your thoughts on this, please.

I’m very inclined to use Skookum for this specially because of the fast testing cycle and coroutines - be able to only check certain things at bigger time intervals, to make the game logic lighter.

Behavior Trees, AI, UE4

Any news on the 4.21 update?

We are aiming for sometime this week.

Any update on the update?

The update is just undergoing testing before it is posted.

We now have a preview of the 4.21 update up on GitHub for those of you who use the full source version of Unreal Engine. You can clone it form there (use branch 4.21) and let us know if it works for you. We’ll post an official update for Epic Games Launcher users in the Marketplace soon as well.

Thank you so very much!

Will there be an official announcement with highlights?

More highlights: